Department Planning Guide
Review and become familiar with University Emergency Operation Plan.
Review and become familiar with the KU Pandemic Response Plan.
Develop a unit specific response based upon the Pandemic Response Levels that includes:
- Taking the necessary steps to reduce the risk of exposure to influenza and implement appropriate controls/ measures:
- Encourage those who are sick to stay home.
- Keep furniture/equipment/work surfaces clean and disinfected.
- Do not share equipment (phones, desks, computers)
- Minimize group contact in the workplace.
- Avoid close contact with others—try to maintain a separation of at least six feet.
- Provide tissues/trash receptacles and places to wash/disinfect hands.
- Provide appropriate personal protective equipment *
* Assistance provided by Environmental Health & Safety in accordance with OSHA Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for an Influenza Pandemic.
- Determining if you have been identified as a response unit, essential service and/or emergency unit.
- If yes:
- Identify essential functions
- Identify essential staff
- Necessary alterations to delivery systems for continuation of service
- Identify essential supplies
- Determine stockpile levels
- Identify at least three potential vendors for each necessary supply
- If no, develop a plan for the closure of services that includes:
- Protection of resources/assets/data.
- Ability to provide services remotely.
- If yes:
- Planning for succession/redundancy of authority and tasks.
- Identifying and confirming:
- Internal decision makers and dependencies.
- External decision makers and dependencies.
- Confirming communication systems (and backup systems) with:
- Decision makers/dependencies (internal and external)
- Training of staff/faculty.
- Planning for recovery and resumption of service that include:
- Communication systems
- Roll out of services
- Recall of staff
- Collection of necessary resources